Job Summary: Sets up and operates a variety of precision machines (lathes, boring bills, CNC machines, small mills) to perform a variety of precision boring, milling, drilling, tapping, turning, threading and facing operations. Specific is a large boring mill. Requires a high degree of skill and knowledge of tooling to maintain exacting tolerance on interrelated dimensions.
Job Specifications: 3 to 5 years’ experience as a skilled machinist. Mechanical skills and aptitude. Blueprint reading and interpretation. Ability to communicate effectively and get along with fellow employees. Basic math and reading skills. Knowledge of high-speed and carbide tooling. Owns tools, measuring devices, and small hand tools. Must be a self-starter and dependable worker, who is committed to continuous improvement.
Primary Skills and Responsibilities: (Others may be assigned)
- Must know CNC programming “Mazatrol” and “Fanuc”.
- Studies machining instructions such as job order, blueprint, process sheet, or layout on work piece to determine machining required, sequence of operation, tooling, feed and speed rate.
- Positions and secures work piece to table, angle plate, vise or chuck and verifies position. Selects mounts tools.
- Set feeds, speeds and depth of cut, and to position tool and work piece in relation to each other, verifying position visually, with instruments and by reading dials.
- Starts machine and observes operation, making one or more trial passes before running in auto with manual control.
- Verifies dimensions of machined work piece with such measuring instruments as micrometers, telescoping gauges, Vernier calipers, and dial indicators. Works to close tolerances.
- Operates machine with automatic positioning controls.
- Must adhere to safety requirements of the shop and maintain a clean work environment.
Required Skills:Mazatrol, Fanuc, Blueprint reading, Mechanical skills