Software Engineer-Grand Rapids, MI. Direct Position
The role of the Senior Software Engineer is to fully understand the architecture and code structure of a multi-tiered supply chain software application as well has complex integration with major MHE systems. This role is responsible to manage all technical aspects of a software project including functional design, technical design, code, test plan development/execution, system design and installation. Additionally, locate and repair issues in the software. The ability to be thorough in making sure all code changes meet our quality standards and the needs of our customers is key.
The senior software engineer will have the ability to manage all communication and interaction with the clients IT department. Additionally, the position will be responsible to manage a staff of software engineers assigned to their project(s). The senior software engineer will manage the time line of all technical activities associated with the project.
The software engineer will have the ability to participate in design, setup, and configuration of systems hardware, operating system, and database environments including Microsoft and UNIX operating systems and MS SQL Server and Oracle databases.
Responsibilities: Position responsibilities include:
· Functional definition for all areas of the system
· Technical design of application, interfaces, and systems
· Software development and unit testing based on detailed functional specifications
· Application and technical configuration
· Complex test case development and test execution
· Design and integration to MHE, host systems, and other systems
· Hardware and 3rd party software design, configuration and set-up
· Preparation of technical and operational documentation
· On-site commissioning and start-up support
· Maintaining systems once they are up and running
· Maintains and modifies existing applications on their own as well as under direction from senior staff members
· Performs maintenance programming for existing version. Performs custom programming at customer request
· Manage software engineers within a project team
· Manage technical time line activities
· Management and communication of clients IT organization
· Management and communication of internal departments or multiple work streams
Travel Requirements: Ability to travel up to 50% per year.
Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or Computer Engineering from a four-year college or university and 4 – 8 years of application development experience required.
Has strong C++ skills, SQL server data based experience, windows systems experience, an understanding of TCP/IP socket communications and systems integration (MHE, ERP to WMS). Ability to solve complex problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists and interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form. Employee is skilled in PC usage and associated software including Microsoft office (Word, Excel, Access and Powerpoint). Has the ability to learn graphic software to compliment the presentation of new designs.
Excellent client communication skills are essential as well as the ability to work in a project team environment. Solid testing skills are required and supply chain application experience is a plus.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit. The employee frequently is required to walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally life and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision color vision and the ability to adjust focus.
Required Skills:Qualifications/Skills: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Team member must be able to work effectively in a team environment, interacting with various internal departments and staff. Some night and weekend work may be required to complete certain duties. Language Skills: Excellent written and verbal communications skills are essential. The ability to read and interpret documents such as functional specifications, technical specifications, safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Have the ability to speak effectively with groups of customers or employees of the organization.